We're Hiring! Join Our Team
Vacation Rental Manager
Location: Oscoda, MI
Salary: Up to $45,000/year
Job Type: Full-Time
Hunger & Ransom is looking to level up with a new property manager. We currently operate fourteen vacation rental properties in Oscoda, MI where you’ll spend half the year (the other half is yours to go anywhere, working remotely).
This position isn’t your typical 'job’; you’ll be busiest performing a wide range of on-site tasks, May - October. November - April your workload will be immensely lighter with plenty of leisure time. Intrigued? Get to know us and the position a bit more.
About Hunger & Ransom
It started in 2014 with a single cabin and desire to elevate the vacation rental experience. Almost a decade later, we have fourteen cottages and plans to continue expansion. Today, all of our properties are conveniently located in Oscoda, MI (on the same street at that) making management simpler.
2 of our properties are individual homes, the other 12 are a part of a larger property that we call Cottage Cove, located on Lake Huron. Throughout the season, we’re home base for over 500 groups. Some families have been staying at our location more than four decades; we’re proud to be a place that so many love and revisit annually!
We’ve reached a stage where managing guests, cleaning and the upkeep of our portfolio prohibits us from adding new properties. This is where you, our new Vacation Rental Manager, step in and help us grow.
About the Position
Like we mentioned at the start, the Vacation Rental Manager role is unique among most jobs. You’ll be performing a variety of tasks from guest relations to cleaning and light maintenance. May through October, you’ll be working in an on-site office. Day to day tasks will include: handling guest relations, changeover cleaning, competitor research, grounds maintenance and advertising oversight (as skill permits).
During rental season, expect plenty of activity and movement. Outside of specific rental days–when cleaning help will be available–you may be cleaning several cottages in a single day on top of your regular duties. Some days, you won’t have any cleaning responsibilities and spend most of your time in front of a computer. Other days, you may only work a couple hours, responding to the occasional phone call or email. Every day will bring something slightly different but you’ll always have a fantastic view of Lake Huron!
For all of the effort and variety that rental season brings, you’ll enjoy a largely open off-season (November - April). While you’re expected to be available for calls and the timely response of guest inquires during limited business hours, most days will bring little work. You’ll have plenty of flexibility to travel, explore the area, or just about any non-conflicting activities.
Eager to learn more and apply? Finer details below:
- Oversee the daily operations of 14+ vacation rental properties.
- Oversee and handle all guest communication (phone, email, messaging).
- Build rapport with guests by proactively communicating and becoming an expert on their needs.
- Arrange to fulfill guest requests before or during their stay.
- Manage a small team of seasonal cleaning crew to assist with property turnover during peak cleaning days.
- Recruit, hire, and train cleaners as needed.
- Perform light general home maintenance tasks such as changing light bulbs, fixing door hinges, tightening toilet paper holders, unclogging toilets, etc.
- Conduct regular property inspections prior to guest arrivals looking for any items missed during property turnover.
- Oversee emergency repairs: search for and hire contractors to address maintenance emergencies as they arise.
- Handle complete property turnover (laundry, cleaning, restocking, etc) as needed.
- Purchase and maintain cleaning, lodging and other office supplies stock.
- Maintain property grounds: emptying trash cans, yard and beach cleanup, landscape watering, etc.
- Conduct regular review of competitor pricing, amenities, sales tactics and advertising efforts.
- Manage social media presence: post new content regularly, respond to comments, grow the base of followers, etc.
- Perform general office related tasks: run reports, create company systems documentation, review company materials for accuracy, etc.
- Attention to detail: include a cover letter or other means of personal introduction with the word "waterfall" to demonstrate your detail-oriented ability.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate difficult messages clearly and empathetically; fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Must be willing to undergo a background check and drug test.
- An active listener who can think quickly and critically under pressure.
- Able to confidently solve complex problems, while maintaining customer satisfaction and controlling costs.
- Ability to calmly thrive under pressure, perform consistently and work with a sense of urgency.
- Superb organization skills in order to prioritize and manage a large volume of guests during peak periods, as well as work autonomously.
- Possess the ability to deliver hospitality services to all of our guests.
- Experience in home maintenance or property ownership.
- Must be resourceful and willing to pitch in wherever needed.
- Must be a self-starter, and able to recognize need before a task is assigned.
- Must be comfortable working in multiple locations, across multiple properties any given day.
- Availability to work Sunday through Saturday, early mornings and evenings as needed
- Must have a valid US Driver's License and reliable vehicle.
Bachelor’s Degree (preferred) · High School Diploma (required)
2+ years property management (preferred) OR 4+ years of related management experience (required)
7 days per week, May - October · Flexible availability, November - April
- Ability to stand, sit, and walk for an extended period of time
- Reach overhead and below the waist
- Regularly push, pull, and lift up to 25 pounds
- Occasionally lift or move up to 75 pounds
- Bend, stoop, squat, kneel, and twist
Compensation and Benefits
Up to $45,000 based on achievement and experience
- Paid time off such as PTO, sick days, and vacation days
- Flexible work schedule during the off-season
- $100/month health care credit
Interested in applying? Introduce yourself at [email protected]